Journal of Medical Physics
 Home | Search | Ahead of print | Current Issue | Archives | Instructions | Subscription | Login  The official journal of AMPI, IOMP and AFOMP      
 Users online: 58  Home  EMail this page Print this page Decrease font size Default font size Increase font size 
ORIGINAL ARTICLE
Year : 2022  |  Volume : 47  |  Issue : 4  |  Page : 381-386

Photon interaction coefficients for the colorectal cancer tissue


1 Department of Radiography and Radiological Sciences, Faculty of Allied Medical Sciences, University of Calabar, Calabar, Nigeria
2 Department of Physics, Faculty of Physical Sciences, University of Calabar, Calabar, Nigeria
3 Department of Pathology, University of Calabar, Calabar, Nigeria

Correspondence Address:
Dr. Emmanuel Okon Esien-Umo
Department of Radiography and Radiological Science, Faculty of Allied Medical Sciences, University of Calabar, Calabar
Nigeria
Login to access the Email id

Source of Support: None, Conflict of Interest: None


DOI: 10.4103/jmp.jmp_29_22

Rights and Permissions

Purpose: The application of radiotherapy to the treatment of cancer requires the knowledge of photon interaction coefficients such as mass attenuation (μm) and mass energy-absorption coefficients (μen/ρ). Although these coefficients have been determined for different tissues, it is lacking for the colorectal cancer (CRC) tissue in the literature. This study determines the μm and μen/ρ for the CRC tissue within the radiotherapy energy range. Materials and Methods: The CRC tissue from autopsy patients was freeze-dried, grounded into a fine powder, and made into pellets of 1 cm thickness. The elements detected in the CRC tissue using Rutherford backscattering spectrometry were used in XCOM to determine the theoretical values of μm and μen/ρ. The CRC tissue was again exposed to X-rays of energies of 6 and 15MV, respectively, to determine its experimental values of μm and μen/ρ. Results: Elements detected included carbon, oxygen and nitrogen making up 96.67%, high atomic number and trace elements making up the remaining 3.33% fraction of the CRC tissue. Conclusion: The theoretical and experimental μm and μen/ρ values showed a good agreement of about 2% difference between them. These values can be used to simulate the CRC tissue with respect to μm and μen/ρ.


[FULL TEXT] [PDF]*
Print this article     Email this article
 Next article
 Previous article
 Table of Contents

 Similar in PUBMED
   Search Pubmed for
   Search in Google Scholar for
 Related articles
 Citation Manager
 Access Statistics
 Reader Comments
 Email Alert *
 Add to My List *
 * Requires registration (Free)
 

 Article Access Statistics
    Viewed206    
    Printed4    
    Emailed0    
    PDF Downloaded35    
    Comments [Add]    

Recommend this journal